Landscape Genomics and Landscape Genetics
A central goal of molecular ecology and evolutionary biology is to understand the geographic distribution of genetic variation. Landscape genomics is an emerging and integrative field that combines aspects of next-generation sequencing, landscape ecology, population genomics and spatial statistics to help improve our understanding of the genetic basis of local adaptation. The Storfer lab has recently been conducting a wide variety of research in landscape genomics, including leading a NIMBioS working group to advance research in this relatively new field. We are also conducting empirical landscape genomics studies on several amphibian species, including cane toads, tiger salamanders, streamside salamanders, and Tasmanian devils.
- Storfer, A., A.H. Patton and A. K. Fraik. 2018. Navigating the intersection of landscape genomics and landscape genetics. Frontiers in Genetics. doi.org/10.3389/fgene.2018.00068
- Lowry, DB., S Hoban, JL Kelley, KE Lotterhos, LK Reed, MF Antolin and A Storfer. 2016. Breaking RAD: The utility of restriction site-associated DNA sequencing for genome scans of adaptation. Molecular Ecology Resources. DOI: 10.1111/1755-0998.12635 ^ISI Highly Cited
- Hoban, S. JL Kelley, KE Lotterhos, MF Antolin, G. Bradburd, DB Lowry, ML Poss, LK Reed, A. Storfer and MC Whitlock. 2016. Finding the genomic basis of local adaptation in non-model organisms: pitfalls, practical solutions and future directions. AmericanNaturalist 188: 379-397. * recommended by Faculty of 1000; ^ISI Highly Cited; @Hot Paper
- Trumbo, D., S.F. Spear, J. Baumsteiger and A. Storfer. 2013. Rangewide landscape genetics of an endemic Pacific Northwestern salamander. Molecular Ecology.22: 1250-1266.
- Spear, S.F., C.M. Chrisafulli and A. Storfer. 2012. Rapid recolonization of tailed frogs in the Mt. St Helens blast zone is moderated by post-disturbance management. Ecological Applications 22:856-869.
- Storfer, A., M. A. Murphy, S. F. Spear, A. R. Holderegger and L. P. Waits. 2010. Landscape genetics: Where are we now? Invited review, Molecular Ecology 19:3496-3514. ^ ISI highly cited
- Storfer, A., M. A. Murphy, J. S. Evans, C. S. Goldberg, S. Robinson, S. F. Spear, R. Dezzani, E. Demelle, L. Vierling, and L. P. Waits. 2007. Putting the “landscape” in landscape genetics. Heredity 98:128-142.